= Reader |
= Online Reading
ENGL 146EL - Winter 2006, Rita Raley
Early computer-mediated fiction
Readings Due: Judy Malloy,
Recommended Readings: Judy Malloy, Works
No class: university holiday
Storyspace and Eastgate
Readings Due: - J. Yellowlees Douglas, I Have Said Nothing (Eastgate) and " Nota Bene" on navigation
- Katherine Hayles, Writing Machines (pp. 36-37)
- Espen Aarseth, Cybertext (pp. 90-92)
CDs are not always available, so if you do not have a floppy drive, then you will want to read
I Have Said Nothing in the Transcriptions studio during TA office hours. Floppy disks are also on reserve in Davidson Library.
Recommended Readings: Background on Storyspace | Commentary on Douglas in the Transcriptions " Guide to Readings" Archive
- Espen Aarseth, "Introduction: Ergodic Literature,” Cybertext: Perspectives on Ergodic Literature
- Raymond Queneau, "A Fairytale As You Like It" and " 100,000,000,000,000 Poems"
- Tristan Tzara, “ Dadaist Poem” (1920); Brion Gysin, Cut-Ups Self-Explained; The Cut-up Technique (Burroughs)
- Browse Oulipo (Ouvroir de Littérature Informatique Potentiel)
- Jim Andrews, Seattle Drift
Recommended Readings: Stéphane Susana, " A Roundup of Constrained Writing on the Web" | Permutations
- Further examples from Aarseth: Apollinaire, Calligrammes; Eliza; Adventure; I Ching | IC (for DOS) | Cent milles milliards de poèmes (comparison between print and electronic forms)
Visual Poetry (vispo)
- Aram Saroyan poems, especially 15-30
- Emmett Williams, " Like Attracts Like"; " meditation no.1"; " typewriter"
- e.e. cummings, " r-p-o-p-h-e-s-s-a-g-r" [and page proof]
- Browse UbuWeb, especially Guillaume Apollinaire
- bp Nichol, " Attempted Diagnoses," " untitled," and " eyes"
- Ana Maria Uribe, Anipoema / Anipoem
- Brian Kim Stephans, “ The Dreamlife of Letters”
Recommended Readings: Aram Saroyan, " Flower Power" |
Bob Grumman, " MNMLST POETRY: Unacclaimed but Flourishing" | Brazilian Digital Poetry | Vispo ~ Langu(im)age: experimental visual poetry (Jim Andrews) | Neil Hennessey, " Puddle" | Eugen Gomringer, " Silencio" | Aram Saroyan, (Random House, 1969) | Pages links for class discussion
Listening at the screen
- Sound poetry at UbuWeb, especially Hugo Ball, "Karawane"; Tristan Tzara, “L'amiral Cherche”; Kurt Schwitters ( Ursonate score); Jaap Blonk, "der minister" and "galsslass"
- Komninos Zervos, " Sound Poem"
- Thom Swiss and Skye Giordano, Genius
- Young Hae-Chang Heavy Industries, especially "Dakota," "Beckett's Bounce," "Lotus Blossom," and "Rain on the Sea"
Recommended Readings: Intercultural medium literature digital: Interview with YHC HI (Hyun-Joo Yoo) | Hearing
Art in the 21st Century" (MASS MoCA); Steven
Poole on sound art ( Guardian)
Critical Essays on sound poetry: Dick
Higgins, " A
Taxonomy of Sound Poetry"; Kevin Concannon, " Cut
and Paste: Collage and the Art of Sound"; Steve McCaffery,
Poetry - A Survey"
No class: university holiday
Flash, Shockwave, and Java poetics: loops, kineticism, durational structures
- Dan Waber, Strings
- Barry Smylie and Alan Sondheim, " Sailing"
- Claire Dinsmore, " The Dazzle as Question"
- Komninos Zervos, Invention (CyberPoetry)
- Erwin Redl, “ Truth is a Moving Target”
- geniwate, exercises in shockwave generative art
Recommended Readings: Peter Howard, " Flash Poetry" | Poems That Go | Revisit Young Hae-Chang Heavy Industries; also " The Art of Sleep" (Tate online)
- Noah Wardrip-Fruin et al, Screen (watch Quicktime videos)
- John Cayley, " Lens"
- David Knoebel, Click Poetry: Words in Space
- Jason Nelson, " cube"
- Aya Karpinska and Daniel C. Howe,
Recommended Readings: Jeffrey Shaw, (with QT video) | Dan Waber and Jason Pimble, The Legible City | Camille Utterback & Romy Achituv, I, You, We | Eduardo Kac, Text Rain Holopoetry | Ben Fry, | valence Magic Book | Ted Warnell, “ Code Poetry” | Jason Nelson, The Poetry Cube | Gothamberg